The Department of Botany was established in the year 1963. Earlier during 1957, Botany subject was included in the Pre university level. From 1963 onwards, Ancillary Botany was started in the department of Zoology and Chemistry. It has a well equipped laboratories, department library, well established seed bank and herbarium specimens.
Currently two permanent faculties and one technical staff are working in the department. The department is also planning to conduct an add-on course under career oriented program of UGC in Plant Propagation and Nursery Management. The Department provides an appropriate platform for the students to learn, practice and express the various aspects of Botany.
- To develop the analytical skill and practical knowledge by using plant material with the help of equipments, instruments and interpretation of scientific data obtained in the plant science.
- To acquaint students with all the fields of modern Botany and with the great diversity of plant life that inhabits our biosphere.
- To develop awareness and conservation of natural resources and protection of environment
- To study about the micro propagation of plants especially endangered species for the conservation of flora through rapid multiplication.
- To focus the attention of scientists on crop improvement and biodiversity this is the foremost aim of our country.
- To promote the students to involve in the society to create interest in the society by conducting activities like scientific hobbies, exhibitions etc.
|Ms. A. MAAJITHA BEGAM, M.Sc., M.Phil., SET.||Head & Assistant Professor|
|Ms. A. M. RASHIDA BANU, M.Sc., B.Ed., SET.||Assistant Professor|