English is a language of opportunities and it plays a vital role in securing a desirable employment. Good communication skills are indispensable for the success of any professional. Accuracy and fluency in the use of language are very essential. Technology-aided learning has started playing a significant role in the pursuit of language learning.
The Language Laboratory established by the Department of English with 20 computers is renovated. It aims at facilitating the learners to gain mastery in the use of English. The laboratory is now well equipped with 60 computers with software packages for training the students. The language laboratory is very helpful in language teaching as well as developing interactive and group communication skills in an effective manner. The students are given training in communication, confidence building, career development, report writing, resume writing and self-awareness.
Hence, the language lab allows for diversity in the classroom. It also provides practise to the students in an entertaining and interactive way to acquire the four main language skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
- To expose the learners to a variety of self-instructional, learner friendly modes of language learning.
- To enable the learners to practise better pronunciation through stress on word accent, intonation and rhythm.
- To enrich the vocabulary of the learners.
- To train the learners to use language effectively to face interviews, group discussions and public speaking.
- To build the proficiency of the learners through continuous engagement and exposure to elements of the English language.
- To facilitate the students to shed fear and anxiety while using English and to overcome their Mother Tongue influence.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE LANGUAGE LABORATORY
The students are given training in the areas of
- Conversational English
- Language Skills
- Group Discussion
- Interpersonal Skills
- Formal and Informal Situations
- Resume Preparation
- E-mail Writing
- PPT Preparation & Presentation
The installation of the CALL lab has enabled the Department of English to conduct a Certificate Course on Spoken English. With the assistance of the language laboratory the Department of English intends to develop the level of confidence among students to use their language skills outside the classroom as well.