IGNOU STUDY CENTRE (Code No. 2568)
Our college is one of the study centres of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi, which offers all UG, PG courses including MBA, MCA and all Diploma and Certificate courses. The University provides considerable flexibility in entry qualifications, place, pace and duration of study to learners across the country and abroad.
IGNOU selected our College as the study centres in Theni District and per semester about three digit numbers of students were admitted in each course for the past 14 years. Currently we have 8 Certificate courses with cumulative student strength of over 500 annually. There are 43 empanelled counselors interacting with our learners on a part-time basis. Through this substantial learner support network, our College seeks to redeem its promise of providing higher education to all segments of society.
Our college is pioneer in Madurai Regional Centre offering Certificate courses. As enshrined in its mandate, our College reaches out to the unreached, disadvantaged and marginalized sections of our society. The seamless convergence of cutting edge technologies enables both multiple media and web-based approached in enhancing the learning environment and providing learner support. Our College has provided impetus to inclusive education with special measures to enroll marginalized groups (scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, the differently-abled, tribals and women). Special coaching has also been successfully employed to reach disadvantaged groups across the district. We need to examine successful models and infer best practices from them. Technology-enhanced learning and student support services can be powerful enablers in this endeavor, especially in reaching educationally backward regions.
Certificate courses offered by our College and its aims
- Certificate in Arabic language: This course aims at acquainting the beginner with essential rudiments of Arabic language, gradually and systematically, inculcates in them an ability to speak, write and read the language with a certain degree of accuracy and confidence.
- Certificate in Food & Nutrition: This course aims to acquaint the learner with the role of food in ensuring healthy living for the individual, family and community.
- Certificate in Consumer Protection: This course aims at creating an overall awareness and consumer affairs with special emphasis on consumer protection.
- Certificate in Environmental Studies: This course aims to public, at every age and at all levels of formal and non-formal education in Environment.
- Certificate in Bee keeping: Honey is naturally available, medically valuable material. Due to less technical knowledge and poor infrastructure, the honey production is less. This course aims to train public to rear the bees to increase the honey production.
- Certificate in Tourism Studies: This course is aimed to familiarizing the youth with varied aspects of Tourism, creating awareness about Tourism, imparting basic training in organizing Tourism services and opening career opportunities.
- Certificate in Teaching of Primary School Mathematics: This course is aimed to meet by exposing the learners of this programme to the need for giving a meaning and context while learning or teaching mathematics concepts, processes and skills.
- Computer Literacy Programme: This course aims to public, at every age and at all levels to give the basic knowledge in operating computer.
IGNOU Part – Time Functionaries
Hajee. M. Dharvesh Mohideen, Secretary & Correspondent
Head of the Study Centre
Dr. M. Basheer Ahamed Meeran, Associate Professor of History
Dr. K. Shahul Hameed,
Mr. M. Mohamed Hareesh,
Mr. K. Amjath Khan,
Mr. S. Zenkhiz Khan,
Mr. G. Sikkandhar Pitchai,
Mr. M. Vighnesh,