The Eco Club is a “Go Green” initiative to empower the student- faculty community to engage in environment conservation and preservation endeavors. The club enables the learning populace to explore the environmental protection activities beyond the boundaries of curriculum. It functions to strengthen the commitment of students towards environment protection and sensitize the society on environmental concern of the local area. Environment safeguarding measures are taken to conserve nature’s heritage by education and direct conservation efforts to spread awareness on good environmental practices. The practices include ban on plastic, proper dumping of garbage, planting of tress, etc.
NEED FOR ECO CLUB
- To motivate the students to keep their surroundings green and clean by undertaking plantation of trees.
- To promote ethos of conservation of water by minimizing the use of water.
- Sensitize the students to minimize the use of plastic bags, not to throw them in public places.
- Educate students to create awareness amongst public and sanitary workers, so as to stop the indiscriminate burning of waste which causes respiratory diseases.
- To create environmental awareness amongst the future generation.
- To create clean and green consciousness among students through various innovative methods
- To mobilize students towards scientific enquiry into environmental issues
- To spread awareness on environmental pollution and to take measures to curb the pollution
- To involve students to preserve environment
- To imbibe a healthy lifestyle focusing on no- wastage
Eco Club of Hajee Karutha Rowther Howdia College works for increasing green cover and sensitizing students on the needs of protecting and promoting our environment. A course on Environmental Studies has been made compulsory of the curriculum. Term End Examinations is being conducted in the even semester as a part of this course to create awareness among students. Eco Club activities are conducted under Part V programme also. The classes are conducted after the college working hours. A separate syllabus is framed for Part V activity of this club and exams are conducted for the same to include in total Grade system.
ACTIVITIES OF ECO CLUB
- Motivating the students to keep their surroundings green and clean by undertaking plantation of trees
- Promote ethos of conservation of water by minimizing the use of water
- Sensitize the students to minimize the use of plastic bags, not to throw them in public places as they choke drains and sewers, cause water logging and provide breeding ground for mosquitoes
- Educate students to create awareness amongst public and sanitary workers, so as to stop the indiscriminate burning of waste which causes respiratory diseases
- Organize tree plantation programmes
- Under the Eco Club activity, the Herbal garden is maintained on the campus.
- Tree plantation activities are conducted successfully in the campus.
- Plastic free campus and use of plastics is kept to minimum.
- Windmill and solar power plant are setup on the campus.
- Replacement of traditional bulbs/tube lights by LED/CFL to save electricity.
- College has set up many Rain Water Harvesting pits to conserve water.
- Burning waste matter as fuel is banned inside the campus, and the use of LPG is encouraged over other fuel types, especially in the canteen.
ECO CLUB COMMITTEE
Ms. S. NASREEN BANU, Assistant Professor of English
Ms. A. SYEDALI FATHIMA, Assistant Professor of Microbiology