DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY
The Department of Botany was established in the year 1963. Earlier during 1957, Botany subject was included in the Pre university level. From 1963 onwards, Ancillary Botany was started in the department of Zoology and Chemistry. It has a well equipped laboratories, department library, well established seed bank and herbarium specimens. The active member of the department, Prof. K. Jayabalan, Associate Professor of Botany, was the coordinator of Eco Club, Dr G. Selvaraj, Associate Professor of Botany, was the District Coordinator in Tamilnadu Science Forum. Currently two permanent faculties and one technical staff are working in the department. The department is also planning to conduct an add-on course under career oriented program of UGC in Plant Propagation and Nursery Management. The Department provides an appropriate platform for the students to learn, practice and express the various aspects of Botany.
Botany originated as herbalism, the study and use of plants for their medicinal properties. The study of plants is vital because they underpin almost all animal life on Earth by generating a large proportion of the oxygen and food that provide humans and other organisms with aerobic respiration with the chemical energy they need to exist. Plants, algae and cyanobacteria are the major groups of organisms that carry out photosynthesis, a process that uses the energy of sunlight to convert water and carbon dioxide into sugars that can be used both as a source of chemical energy and of organic molecules that are used in the structural components of cells. Plants are crucial to the future of human society as they provide food, oxygen, medicine, and products for people, as well as creating and preserving soil.
In this subject, students would study about the primitive plants which are helping the world by means of producing oxygen, vascular plants, which gives furniture, medicines, peace and all for the better life of human beings, Plant Pathology and Microbiology, provides knowledge on microbes, diseases, and control of plant pathogens in agriculture and natural ecosystems, Taxonomy and Embryology of Angiosperms which provides knowledge about plant genus, species, family and its development, Plant Physiology, gives knowledge on the mechanism of plants and synthesis of nutrition, Genetics, gives knowledge about the heredity of plants, Plant Breeding which afford ideas on the applications of advanced technology of Plants in the field of Agriculture and they may know how plants produce food and how to increase yields, for example through plant breeding, making their work important to mankind’s ability to feed the world and provide food security for future generations, Plant Biotechnology which promotes students to their next level of Knowledge and Environmental Biology which is necessary need to the younger generations for our Health.
- To develop the analytical skill and practical knowledge by using plant material with the help of equipments, instruments and interpretation of scientific data obtained in the plant science.
- To acquaint students with all the fields of modern Botany and with the great diversity of plant life that inhabits our biosphere.
- To develop awareness and conservation of natural resources and protection of environment.
- To study about the micro propagation of plants especially endangered species for the conservation of flora through rapid multiplication.
- To focus the attention of scientists on crop improvement and biodiversity this is the foremost aim of our country.
- To promote the students to involve in the society to create interest in the society by conducting activities like scientific hobbies, exhibitions etc.
|Name of the Faculty
|Dr. A. MAAJITHA BEGAM
M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., SET.
|Ms. A.M. RASHIDA BANU
M.Sc., B.Ed., SET.